Friday, March 26, 2010

The name we gave you

To James Ryan Singletary,

A note from Dad on how you got your name:

Two years ago today we named you James Ryan Singletary. The Singletary part was a given. We came by James quite easily too, the day we found out you were a boy, in fact. It was in the elevator leaving the doctor's office where an ultrasound image had just shown us a little more of who you were. Your mom looked at me and asked, "So, do we have a James?" I replied, "Yes." (We might have discussed it a little before then, just in case you turned out to be a boy.) Ryan, as your middle name, came down to the wire, narrowly edging out Robin. (Sorry Papa.)

Here's a little more about why we named you what we did, and what it means to us. We pray that over time your name will come to mean much to you too:

Singletary is our family name. I, Ryan Dale, got if from my dad, Robin Dale, your papa. He got it from his dad, Richard Edward, my grandpa, your "gate gampa" (great grandpa). It is also shared by my uncle, your great uncle, Dirk Ryan Singletary, Papa's brother. There are many other Singletary men, but these are all that I've ever known.

As you now can see, Ryan is a family name too. It is Irish in origin, like much of our family, and means "kingly" or "little king".

James is a biblical name, the Greek version of the Hebrew "Jacob" meaning supplanter, or one who follows. No, we didn't specifically want to call you "supplanter." Rather, we named you after a particular James of the Bible, an Apostle of Jesus Christ who wrote the New Testament book that bears his name. It is a wonderful book filled with encouragement,
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:2-5)
wisdom,
"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:19)
and guidance,
"Draw near to God and he will draw near to you." (James 4:8a)

We also named you after some of the men from Nana's side of the family. Her father, my grandpa, your great grandpa, was James Bernard Reeder. I knew him as "Grandpa Big Jim." His only son, Nana's brother, my uncle, your great uncle, is James Russell Reeder. To me he is "Uncle Jimmy."

Finally, we so liked the way it sounded. Strong and confident like we pray you will be. Like we strive to aid you in becoming.

We gave you the best name we could, for the best reasons we had: After James of the Bible who bore witness to God's son, Jesus, followed Him, and wrote about Him so that we might believe in faith, and be saved by His grace. After your family, who came before you and loved you, even before you were born. And for you to have always. To honor and uphold. To build a legacy upon. Draw near to God, through Jesus, by His Holy Spirit, and He will make it so. And one day, may you pass your name on better than you received it!

I pray this for you, James Ryan, my beloved son, on your second birthday. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Love, Dad

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much my Ry, you bring tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Thank you for being such an amazing Daddy to our little men. I pray that they will be just like you when they are grown.

    ReplyDelete