Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sweet William

At church we are currently in a sermon series that has us going through the book of Luke. One of the verses that we looked at today was Luke 5:27-28:

"After this he (Jesus) went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything, he rose and followed him."

I smiled when our pastor read this verse because I was holding my sweet William and this verse means so much to me/us in regards to our baby boy.

You see we didn't plan Will. We weren't thinking of trying for another baby for many months to come so when we found out that we were pregnant it was a surprise. This is why his name is Will, he's God's Will. He is God's Will for our family and we pray that one day he will grow to be a mighty man of God who carries out God's Will.

So that's the first name but the verse really applies to his middle name, Levi. Will's middle name is Levi because of this verse!

Ryan and I pray that all of our kids (those we have and any of those that the Lord might have for us in the future) will love Jesus and glorify God through their lives. So when we were thinking about names for little Will we knew we wanted to give him a name that would always remind him of Jesus.

When Jesus asked Levi to follow him Levi didn't take time to think about it, he didn't weigh his options or ask for a little time to sort out his affairs, instead he literally left EVERYTHING and followed Him. This is what we pray for Will. We pray that he will be a man who is willing to leave everything and sacrifice anything for Jesus. I love that!

So tonight as I put our little man to bed I prayed again that the Lord would save him one day soon and I remembered Levi, who became Matthew and wrote a book of the bible, and who followed Jesus without question.

1 comment: