Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rough Couple of Days

It's been a rough couple of days.

It all started after church on Sunday when we got a phone call from my Mom that my brother's family had been in a car accident in Tahoe. We were told that the car rolled over and my niece Becky was in the hospital. I was a mess of tears and prayer. Thankfully less than an hour later my Mom called back to say that everyone was fine and Becky most likely had whiplash, thank you Lord!

Then Sunday night at about 9:30 James woke up coughing this horrible cough that made him sound like a seal. He was crying out in pain every few minutes because his little throat hurt and he was so sleepy but couldn't sleep, poor pumpkin boy.

Apparently the "little" cold I thought he had on Sunday had morphed into something awful and the next thing you know we had two nervous parents and a very sad little boy. The rest of the night is a bit of a blur but mostly consisted of James whaling and writhing around in pain between us in bed, Ryan and I doing our best to console him and all three of us left with very little sleep.

Monday was hard. With little to no sleep under our belts and a snotty coughing boy on our hands, it seemed I couldn't do anything right. James is a strong willed little man (wonder where he gets that from?) and when he's sick he's a very strong willed crabby pants. I pumped him full of liquids by spiking his water with apple juice (which he loves) and tried my hardest to get him to sleep (which he hates).


I tried to not work, telling the office that James was sick and I was unavailable. But it's a busy week so every hour or so there was a question that needed to be answered or an urgent email to attend to. I did my best to stay on top of it all but I might have cried a couple times.


Today started early (6:54) but the boy sounded better, his cheeks weren't red anymore and his nose was flowing but nothing green was coming out (sorry) and his cough sounded better. There was a work crisis this morning, which did make me cry, but my boss swooped in a took over and I closed my work email for the day.

James didn't have much of an appetite, which is very odd for him, my shirt is covered in snot (not my own) and I got a direct shot to the eyeball with a flying fingernail (also not my own) when I decided it would be a good idea to clip his claws. I'm afraid to look in the mirror at what I might see and I am inclined to eat my weight in graham crackers & peanut butter (my snack du jour) and a huge glass of milk.

Oh but I love my boy and though it's been a very rough couple of days, I'm happy to say that the boy is in bed, the dishes are done (thank you my sweet husband), the humidifier is humming and I am ready to read and go to bed. I hope tomorrow's a better day......or at least Thursday as a gift for my birthday.

3 comments:

  1. Annie, it seems I get all the family news via your blog lately. I'm so glad Nathan and Becky are ok. Incredibly scary though! You're poor mom, this is a killer week as it is. I talked with her Friday and she seemed pretty overwhlemed with prep for India. She didn't sound like herself. I wish there was more I could do to help...

    My love to you and yours,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh annie, so sorry you've had it rough. There is so much joy in parenthood and so much snot as well ;)
    Keep up the great mommy work.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayers your way! -Marjorie

    ReplyDelete