Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dad

It has been four years now since my Dad passed away and the other night I dreamt about him. It was a simple dream, we were just sitting around talking about normal everyday things, but when I woke up I could remember him better and see him more clearly in my head....it was wonderful.

I am reminded now of that time four years ago when I lost my dad and the amazing array of emotions that went through me. Before my dad passed away he had talked to me at length about is faith in Jesus and although I politely listened, I told him that I honestly couldn't buy into Christianity. I thought that I was a good person and that I didn't need God in my life.

As I now know however, God is perfect and has perfect timing and when he chose to bring my dad home to be with him he also chose to reveal himself to me.

I remember being at the hospital saying goodbye to my dad (who was unconscious and hooked up to machines) when it dawned on me that dad would be with Jesus soon...his savior. If you asked me at the time I would have told you that I wasn't even sure I believed in Jesus but still I felt peace in that moment knowing that my dad would soon be with his true father. Through this tramatic event the Lord had made something click inside of me and from that time on I was changed.

It was during this time that I came to know Jesus as my own savior and to explain this I have taken an excerp from a recent blog that my sister wrote because I think it explains everything so beautifully.

"...I have been once again marveling at the cost with which God reconciled us to Him. He could have left us to sit in the mire of our sin which would result in our eventual death and then eternity in hell, but instead He came to earth, took on human flesh, lived a life without sin, died a sinners death and rose from the dead, defeating sin and death. And He gave us a name by which to call Him, Jesus. And all that is expected of us to receive this totally undeserved Grace is to "Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead" Romans 9:10. After that, Jesus gives you all you need to follow Him. There is no age at which you are too young or too old to accept Him. There is no sin in our past that is too great to be overcome by Jesus. I love that!"

I came to realize that I am a sinner and without Jesus I would always be marred by my sin. I realized that we live in a fallen world and the only way to defeat sin and death is through true faith in Jesus Christ....without Him I was in darkness and now I am in the light....Suddenly the lyrics to the classic Amazing Grace make so much more sense......"I was lost but now I'm found..."

So four years ago this past April I was saved by the Lord and given a new heart and a new life. Since that time I have married an amazing Christian man who loves Jesus and me and I have given birth to a baby boy who is an absolute miracle and testiment to God's love. I have my Father to thank for all of this and my dad who played a huge part...thank you both.

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord. I miss dad too, but I am so thankful to Jesus for saving us, even if it took the temporary loss of dad. (I say temporary loss because we will be with him again soon, forever!)

    ReplyDelete