Thursday, May 1, 2008

Man this is hard work!

Anyone that says stay at home moms don't work is crazy.

Before James came into our life I had no idea how much a new baby needs his parents....especially his momma (since she is usually the food supply).

First you have the odd sleep hours to get used to and even that changes from night to night so there really isn't much you can do to adapt. Then once you are up in the morning there is almost definitely a diaper to be changed and a hungry tummy to fill. If I have time (this morning I did not) I grab a cup of coffee or a piece of toast for myself but the little squirrel man (aka: James) comes first so this may or may not be an option........showering also may or may not be an option.

After James eats he usually decides that sleeping in my arms is a good idea and just as I attempt to put him down in his bed (so I can get that shower) his eyes pop open and it is time to play. The rest of the day is filled with eating, sleeping, eating some more, maybe an outing to the store or a friend's house and then a little bit of laying on the floor in the torture dome (his baby gym...I think I got the name from my sister) while I scramble to make dinner. If I am lucky I can squeeze in a nap for myself and a couple loads of laundry but most days that doesn't happen.

All in all it is hard work but also (and here comes cheesy Annie) the best and most rewarding work I have ever done in my life. Although it is difficult to get up for that 3am feeding, there is nothing more beautiful than watching my son nurse himself back to sleep while the world outside is still.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! You never knew that life could be so hard & so amazing at the same time. :) I can't wait for Molly to sleep through the night but I really appreciated Marcy's advice to just enjoy this time. A part of me will really miss those early morning feedings once they're gone, especially as she's getting more & more independent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a mom is the best/hardest job I've ever had. I praise the Lord that you feel the same way!
    Love you Sis,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete