Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Carob?

What is the deal with Carob? I thought this terrible chocolate impostor had been eradicated in 1990 along with leg warmers and side ponytails.....oh wait those are back too.

Today at the grocery store I saw a container full of carob chips for sale in the organic foods section and I was instantly brought back to a time in the late 80's when a "friend" offered me some "chocolate" that turned out to be chocolate's evil twin, carob. Friends don't let friends eat carob.

Yes, I admit that I am a bit of a chocolate snob but honestly who eats this stuff. Carob is only good to give to kids who have never tasted real chocolate because they are allergic and don't know any better.

Does anyone actually like this stuff?

Ok, carob tirade is complete. I apologize to all the carob lovers out there reading this however I strongly suggest that you admit you have a problem and buy some Ghirardelli chocolate ASAP.

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to someone about the nastiness that is carob yesterday! My boss bought some "Sixlets" candy, and one of my students was raving about how her Mom used to get it for her as a kid. I took one bite and said "This isn't chocolate, it's carob!!" I had to explain what carob was, and that she had been hoodwinked as a child to think it was real candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problem here is actually comparing carob to chocolate. carob is fine, but it's not chocolate and there is no fooling anyone. chocolate is what everything is made of in heaven.

    ReplyDelete